16 February 2009

D.S TOP 5 JAMS


1. Fleet Foxes - Ragged Wood
Rightfully named no.1 album of the year by the Rolling Stones, The Guardian and The Times, Fleet Foxes have revived Indie Folk Pop in a way which feels one with a nostalgia of childhood outings on school trips, days in the country and all the innocent tendencies we had before puberty struck (Well for me anyway). The Seattle based five piece soft, choir-Esq vocals compliment their deep lush, layered sound. Ragged Wood is taken from their self titled debut album which also features the hit White Winter Hymnal. Definitely a feel good anthem in the times of the 'Great Depression/ Recession'


2. Rihanna - Rehab
Rehab I can say is truly one of the few songs I rate acceptable from the Bajan/ beat-up songstress. I have taken a shocking liking to this heart churning melody, well more than a liking since it's been on a constant loop for a well. But its not due to the 'unique' vocals of Rihanna but instead the sheer unadulterated talent of MR JT formally known as Justin 'Trousersnake' Timberlake... Remember that? OK I have held back from commenting on the traumatic domestic that went down with boyfriend Chris Brown but what I will Say is that she can finally sing this song knowing that she can truly relate to it and some people are going to empathise with her by listening to more and more of Rehab... Kerrrchiing!! More dollars to spend on endless tattoos and piercings. Also apparently she had bite marks on her arms and inner thigh. Missy don't start adding bruising from your kinky activities to the altercation that occurred!


3. Leona Lewis - Run
Absolutely digging this ballad from Leona. Haven't been a fan of previous singles as they fail miserably to showcase her amazing vocals. The Snow Patrol cover was the fastest selling digital release ever, selling 69,244 copies in two days and also managed to get a Grammy nomination. Keep up the good work Leona and stay away from Lois Walsh's Pandora's Box of evil covers!!


4. John Legend - It's Over
I hardly ever purchase an album but on this occasion I felt inclined to as this song was only available when purchasing the whole Evolver album, to my knowledge. I searched all other possible routes but failed to find :( The catchy beat featuring Mr K West on his Vocoder added I life to a surprisingly DEAD compilation of depressingly melodramatic soulful songs, with the exception of the single Green Light. A tad bit disappointed that I didn't wait a little longer to see if the ‘routes’ would finally work.


5. Inner City - Goodlife
Now this is what I call happiness! So loving this 80s electro dance tune. It should be illegal not to play it at every rave or party, as it would be incomplete without. Although I'm feeling slightly guilty listening/dancing to it right now as I tend to forget I have got 1000s of word to be dissertating on and until the 5th May (last deadline) I can't truly enjoy this Jam. Not to worry once I'm done I’ll be all about the place moshing to this!!!

Mangolicious out.

No comments:

Post a Comment